A festive shape, zesty cranberry filling and Christmas colors make these sweet rolls a real holiday hit with my crew. Sometimes I change the glaze, omitting the vanilla and using orange juice instead of milk for a tangier taste. —Rita Fenley, Chesapeake, Virginia
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and lemon peel; cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk and eggs. Stir into flour mixture until blended. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a saucepan, combine the filling ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 5 minutes longer; cool.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll one portion into an 18-in. x 15-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Fold one short side to center over filling; repeat with other side, making a 15-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Pinch seam to seal. Cut into 15 slices. Twist each slice and form a cane shape.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and let rise is a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Meanwhile combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm rolls. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Cranberry Christmas Canes in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2004, p19
Reviews for Cranberry Christmas Canes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review