"I love the combination of cranberries and chocolate, particularly in this recipe," says Dayton, Washington's Ann Michelson. "You can substitute dried cherries for the cranberries. And you can also make drop cookies instead of bars."
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Whisk the eggs, egg whites, sugar substitute, applesauce, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in dried cranberries.
- Spread into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 17-20 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry-Chocolate Oatmeal Bars in Light & Tasty April/May 2005, p23
Reviews for Cranberry-Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 25, 2010
"I was disappointed in these bars. I was expecting something sweeter and richer. I probably won't make them again,"
Reviewed Aug. 10, 2009
"I really like these, although I do use sugar rather than sweetener."