When the season is right, Washington has cranberries galore, and we have always enjoyed finding new ways to use them. This is a light and easy salad to make - one that my family has been fond of for many years.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 can (14 ounces) jellied cranberry sauce
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup diagonally sliced celery
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimiento, drained
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lettuce leaves
- Dissolve gelatin in water. In a saucepan, soften cranberry sauce over
- low heat. Add to gelatin mixture. Stir well. Pour into a greased
- 3-cup ring mold. Chill until firm, about 4 hours.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, celery, pimiento, lemon juice and
- rind with mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Chill
- until ready to serve. Unmold cranberry salad onto a lettuce-lined
- platter. Fill center with chicken salad. Serve immediately. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 498 calories, 27 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 277 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.