Cranberry Cheese Bread Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and halved
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Combine the egg, cheese, orange juice and water. Make a well in the dry ingredients; stir in egg mixture just until moistened. Add the cranberries and the nuts.
- 2. Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 191 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 219 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Cranberry Cheese Bread
"I have been searching for this delicious recipe. A friend from many years ago in Michigna used tomake this and looked high and low for the recipe again. Thank you for sharing!"
"Very tasty. Combination of the cranberries and cheddar cheese is excellent. Made gift loaves for family and friends."