After serving a heavy holiday meal, I like to offer a light, refreshing dessert, like this gorgeous granita. Because it can be made ahead, there's no last-minute fuss. —Joyce Gemperlein, Rockville, Maryland
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 3-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1-3/4 cups unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups Champagne
- Place the lime peel in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring
- to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Drain and discard liquid; set
- the peel aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring cranberry juice and sugar to a boil. Cook
- and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in
- champagne and lime peel.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. dish; cool to room temperature.
- Freeze for 1 hour; stir with a fork. Freeze 2-3 hours longer or
- until completely frozen, stirring every 30 minutes.
- Stir granita with a fork just before serving; spoon into dessert
- dishes. Yield: 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 196 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.