Cranberry Caramels Recipe
When I make holiday goodies, my sister always asks when I’m sending the cranberry caramels. They keep well, wrapped in plastic wrap, at room temperature, or in the freezer. —Jan Rinker, Craig, Colorado
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. Line an 8-in. square dish with foil; grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter and set aside.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cranberries, corn syrup, cream, salt and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, washing down sides of pan using a pastry brush dipped in cold water to eliminate sugar crystals. Once mixture reaches a boil, cook without stirring until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage).
- 3. Remove from the heat. Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Let stand until firm, about 5 hours or overnight.
- 4. Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Discard foil; cut candy into 1-in. squares using a buttered knife. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends. Yield: 1-1/4 pounds.
1 piece equals 41 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 14 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC