Cranberry Canes Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Confectioners' sugar icing, optional
- In a saucepan, combine all filling ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Cool.
- For dough, dissolve yeast in water; set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add yeast mixture, milk and eggs; stir to form a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least two hours.
- Divide dough in half. On a well-floured surface, roll each half into an 18-in. x 15-in. rectangle. Spoon filling down the center of each rectangle widthwise. Fold into thirds so that the finished rectangles are 15 in. x 6 in. Cut each into 15 strips. Twist strips and shape into candy canes. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until golden. Frost with confectioners' sugar icing if desired. Yield: 30 rolls.
Originally published as Cranberry Canes in Taste of Home December/January 1995, p17
Reviews for Cranberry Canes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review