Cranberry Cake with Tangerine Frosting Recipe
This cake is tart and sweet and festive all at once. —Sandy Gaulitz, Spring, Texas
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups plus 2 tablespoons cake flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons tangerine or orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated tangerine or orange peel
- Optional toppings: sugared cranberries, candied tangerine or orange slices and red sprinkles
- 1. Line the bottoms of two greased 8-in. square or 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla.
- 2. In another bowl, mix 4 cups flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. In a large bowl, toss cranberries with remaining flour; fold into batter.
- 3. Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; remove parchment paper. Cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar, tangerine juice and peel. Spread between cake layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate, covered, until serving.
- 5. If desired, top with sugared cranberries, candied tangerines and sprinkles. Yield: 16 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC