Cranberry Cake Roll Recipe
- 9 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 2-1/3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- 2. Add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in flour, about 1/4 cup at a time.
- 3. Carefully spread into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4. For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until berries pop. Mash berries; strain, reserving juice and discarding pulp. Return juice to the pan. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; gradually add to cranberry juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Chill.
- 5. Unroll cake and spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 196 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 91 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Cranberry Cake Roll
"The cranberry filling is very good, but the "cake" is tasteless and sticky. Definitely won't make again."