"Always welcomed on holidays, this pudding-like dessert is my mother's recipe," says Medford, Oregon field editor Marion Lowery.
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cranberries
- 2 tablespoons grated orange or lemon peel
- CREAM SAUCE:
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup butter
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in cranberries and orange peel.
- Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Cut warm cake into squares; serve with cream sauce. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Cake in Taste of Home October/November 2001, p65
Reviews for Cranberry Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review