Cranberry Buttermilk Sherbet
Light, refreshing cranberry sherbet is a great change of pace from rich, holiday food. It’s also popular on a hot, summer day. The buttermilk adds a nice tang.Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, FL
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Process: 20 min. + freezing
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Dash salt
- In a small saucepan, combine first six ingredients; cook over medium
- heat until the berries pop, about 15 minutes. Discard cinnamon
- stick. Mash cranberry mixture; chill.
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice
- and salt; add cranberry mixture. Pour into cylinder of ice cream
- freezer; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Transfer
- ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion.
- Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Yield: about 1 quart.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 366 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 148 mg sodium,