Cranberry Brisket with Horseradish Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) ginger ale
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1. Place brisket in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the cranberry sauce, ginger ale, cranberries and soup mix; pour over meat. Cover and bake at 375° for 2 hours.
- 2. Uncover; bake 1 hour longer or until meat is tender, basting occasionally. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Drain potatoes; mash with milk, butter and horseradish. Let brisket stand for 5 minutes; thinly slice across the grain. Serve with cooking juices and mashed potatoes. Yield: 8 servings (1-2/3 cups gravy).
1 serving equals 558 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 448 mg sodium, 70 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 40 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.