The sweet and savory brisket is a great compliment to the zesty potatoes in this recipe. The rich color of the meat makes it an elegant holiday option.—Rachelle Schaefer, Studio City, California
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) ginger ale
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- Place brisket in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the cranberry sauce, ginger ale, cranberries and soup mix; pour over meat. Cover and bake at 375° for 2 hours.
- Uncover; bake 1 hour longer or until meat is tender, basting occasionally. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain potatoes; mash with milk, butter and horseradish. Let brisket stand for 5 minutes; thinly slice across the grain. Serve with cooking juices and mashed potatoes. Yield: 8 servings (1-2/3 cups gravy).
Originally published as Cranberry Brisket with Horseradish Mashed Potatoes in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p45
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Cranberry Brisket with Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review