Cranberry Betty Recipe
For a tart autumn dessert, this one is hard to beat. We love the way the sweet apples and brown sugar complement the tangy cranberries. Topped with the lemon sauce, it's a winner! —Leona Cullen, Melrose, Massachusetts
- 4 cups soft bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 5 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a skillet, brown the bread crumbs in 3 tablespoons butter. Place half the apples in a greased 8-in.-square baking dish. Combine the brown sugar and nutmeg; sprinkle half over apples. Top with half of the bread crumbs. Dot with half of the remaining butter. Place the cranberries on top. Layer with remaining apples, brown sugar mixture, bread crumbs and butter.
- 2. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes more or until fruit is tender.
- 3. For lemon sauce, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan; add water and lemon peel until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and butter until melted. Serve over warm Cranberry Betty. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 369 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 266 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Cranberry Betty
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC