Cranberry Beef Brisket
"My mother-in-law gave me the recipe for this tender brisket," relates Annette Bartle of Lees Summit, Missouri. It yields a lot, so the leftover beef can be used in the two comforting recipes that follow.
10-12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 3-4 hours
- 1 beef brisket (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine or additional beef broth
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- In a large skillet, brown beef in oil on both sides. Transfer to a
- greased roasting pan. In a small bowl, combine the remaining
- ingredients; pour over beef.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 3-4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Strain cooking juices if desired to serve with meat. Yield: 10-12
Nutritional Facts: 8 ounces equals 273 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 301 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.