Cranberry Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white baking chips
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in eggs, sour cream and extracts. In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Fold in baking chips, cranberries and walnuts. Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- 2. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Beat in confectioners' sugar; spread over top. Sprinkle with cranberries. Cut into bars or triangles. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 bar: 166 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 77mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (14g sugars, trace fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Cranberry Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
"These were extremely rich and I probably won't be making again. Here's my blog post on them: http://heatskitchen.com/2016/01/24/white-chocolate-bars-with-cream-cheese-frosting/"
"These were delicious! I substituted 1/2 of the butter for applesauce and lessened the sugar because of it, and only used 8 oz. of cream cheese in the frosting. Otherwise, followed the recipe exactly. Even my hubby who doesn't like cranberries liked it! Thanks for sharing - this will definitely be one I make over and over! ** I had to add this the next day - AMAZING!! This is probably the best dessert I have ever had - moist, tasty and addicting! Thanks!**"
"absolutely delicious....i also made half the amount of frosting and still had some left over. the texture is lovely , and versatile.....you could put coffee or chocolate instead of cranberries and they would be fantastic!"
"Really good and I just bought the can of frosting from the super market. This way there is no waste in having to much frosting, and cheaper."
"My family and I really enjoyed these bars. They were easy to put together and tasted great. The sour cream made the bars very moist. The only thing I caution is the amount of frosting. I only used 1 pkg of cream cheese (8 oz total), 1/4 c. butter, and 2 cups powdered sugar. You will need a little milk to thin the icing. I can't imagine more icing or cream cheese. It would be too much for the thin bar. Everyone in my family agreed that half the recipe was sufficient for the bar. I will definitely be making these again!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.