Living in the heart of cranberry country, I plan many meals around that crimson-colored fruit. This is my spin on a great Greek favorite.
- 20 sheets phyllo dough, (14 inch x 9 inch)
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, finely chopped
- 3 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups honey
- Grease a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer six sheets of phyllo dough in dish, brushing each with butter.
- In a bowl, combine the cranberries, walnuts, sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle 1-1/4 cups over top layer of phyllo. Layer and brush six sheets of dough with butter. Top with 1-1/4 cups cranberry mixture. Layer and brush six more sheets of dough with butter; top with remaining cranberry mixture. Top with remaining sheets of dough, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Using a sharp knife, cut halfway through layers to make 24 pieces. Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small saucepan, heat the honey over low heat just until warm and thin. Pour over warm baklava. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Yield: 24 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Baklava in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p222
Reviews for Cranberry Baklava
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review