Cranberry Baked Beans Recipe
I knew I'd found a winner when I got the idea to simmer beans in cranberry juice. The tartness of the juice is a nice subtle contrast to the sweet brown sugar and molasses in these baked beans. They're wonderful warm or cold. Wendie Osipowicz, New Britain, Connecticut
- 3 cups dried navy beans
- 5 cups cranberry juice
- 1/2 pound lean salt pork, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 5 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour to 4 hours, or until softened.
- Drain beans and discard liquid. Return beans to Dutch oven. Add cranberry juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are almost tender.
- Drain, reserving cranberry liquid. Place beans in a 2-1/2-qt. casserole or bean pot; add remaining ingredients and 1-1/2 cups of cranberry liquid. Cover and bake at 350° for 3 hours or until beans are tender and of desired consistency, stirring every 30 minutes. Add reserved cranberry liquid as needed. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Baked Beans in Taste of Home February/March 1997, p27
Reviews for Cranberry Baked Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 23, 2014
Different but really good
Reviewed Oct. 9, 2010
these were good - but not worth all the time it took making them. didn't taste any better than beans from a can. i didn't taste the cranberry at all. disappointed.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Bean Recipes >
- Bean Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Side Dish Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >