Cranberry-Avocado Tossed Salad Recipe
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup thawed cranberry juice concentrate
- 4 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 package (5 ounces) dried cranberries
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted if desired
- 1/3 cup sunflower kernels
- 1. In a small bowl, whisk the first six ingredients until blended. Gradually whisk in oil.
- 2. Gently toss avocado with lemon juice. In a large bowl, combine romaine, spinach, cranberries, onion and avocado; drizzle with 1/2 cup vinaigrette. Sprinkle with almonds and sunflower kernels; serve immediately. Drizzle with additional vinaigrette or, if desired, save for another use. Yield: 10 servings (about 1 cup vinaigrette).
3/4 cup: 212 calories, 13g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Cranberry-Avocado Tossed Salad
"GREAT RECIPE! My family loved the play of all the different flavors. For non avocado lovers, substituting cooked chicken works great too. Our daughter said she could eat this salad every day and not tire of it!"