Cranberry-Avocado Tossed Salad Recipe
The red and green colors in this salad make it a natural for a yuletide dinner. Plus the dressing and ingredients give it a sweet-tangy flavor.—Marsha Postar, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup thawed cranberry juice concentrate
- 4-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 package (5 ounces) dried cranberries
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup sunflower kernels
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Gradually whisk in the oil; set aside.
- 2. Combine avocado and lemon juice. In a large bowl, combine the romaine, spinach, cranberries, onion and avocado mixture; drizzle with 1/2 cup dressing. (Save remaining dressing for another use.)
- 3. Sprinkle with almonds and sunflower kernels. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup equals 212 calories, 13 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 91 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC