Cranberry Apricot Scones Recipe
Dried apricots and cranberries and a bit of grated orange peel give these golden scones plenty of fruity flavor. They're perfect served with a mug of hot coffee or tea.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- Additional sugar
- 1. In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in apricot and cranberries. In a bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg, egg white and orange peel; stir into crumb mixture just until blended.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently four times. Roll into a 12-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Cut into eight 3-in. squares. Cut each square into two triangles. Separate pieces and transfer to a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until browned. Serve warm. Yield: 16 scones.
1 serving (1 each) equals 164 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 216 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC