Cranberry-Apricot Bread Pudding Recipe
I adjusted a favorite bread pudding recipe to make it a little healthier. Dried fruits add texture and sweetness to this heart-warming dessert.—Lily Julow, Lawrenceville, Georgia
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 6 cups cubed day-old bread
- 8 tablespoons whipped topping
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine apricots and apple juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed. Stir in cranberries; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the milk, egg whites, egg, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and cardamom. Add bread cubes; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Stir in apricot mixture.
- 3. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon whipped topping and 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped walnuts. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 257 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Cranberry-Apricot Bread Pudding
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC