- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 medium Golden Delicious apples (about 2-1/2 pounds), peeled and chopped
- 1-1/4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir water and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add apples; cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add cranberries; cover and cook until apples are tender and berries pop, about 15 minutes.
- Mash until sauce reaches desired consistency. Stir in peel, ginger and cinnamon. Cook, uncovered, 5 minutes longer. Serve warm or refrigerate until serving. Yield: 3-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Cranberry Applesauce in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2002, p28
Reviews for Cranberry Applesauce(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 1, 2011
My kids do not like cranberries and so they were skeptical about this recipe. I reduced the sugar somewhat and left out the ginger and we all loved it! Great way to use up leftover cranberries from the holidays.
Reviewed Sep. 27, 2008