Cranberry Apple Tart Recipe
Bursting with the colors and flavors of the season, this eye-fetching treat is a welcomed addition to any celebration. Our home economists sweetened the crispy golden crust with honey so your guests will never suspect that the dessert is actually low in fat.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. + chilling YIELD:14 servings
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dried apples
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Beat in the egg, butter, sugar and orange peel. Combine flour and salt; beat into yeast mixture on low speed just until mixture holds together.
- 2. Shape into a ball. Place in a small bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1-1/4 hours (dough will not double, but will leave a slight indentation when pressed).
- 3. Coat an 11-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray; set aside. Place dough on a piece of waxed paper. Lightly flour dough and roll into a 13-in. circle. Invert into prepared pan; gently peel off waxed paper.
- 4. Line unpricked tart shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 375° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 6 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 5. In a large saucepan, combine the first seven filling ingredients. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil and cranberries pop. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into cranberry mixture. Cook 2 minutes longer or until thickened. Cool for 20 minutes. Pour into crust. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before cutting. Yield: 14 servings.
1 piece equals 183 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 113 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC