Bursting with the colors and flavors of the season, this eye-fetching treat is a welcomed addition to any celebration. Our home economists sweetened the crispy golden crust with honey so your guests will never suspect that the dessert is actually low in fat.
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dried apples
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Beat in the egg, butter, sugar and orange peel. Combine flour and salt; beat into yeast mixture on low speed just until mixture holds together.
- Shape into a ball. Place in a small bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1-1/4 hours (dough will not double, but will leave a slight indentation when pressed).
- Coat an 11-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray; set aside. Place dough on a piece of waxed paper. Lightly flour dough and roll into a 13-in. circle. Invert into prepared pan; gently peel off waxed paper.
- Line unpricked tart shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 375° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 6 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine the first seven filling ingredients. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil and cranberries pop. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into cranberry mixture. Cook 2 minutes longer or until thickened. Cool for 20 minutes. Pour into crust. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before cutting. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Apple Tart in Light & Tasty October 2005, p47
Reviews for Cranberry Apple Tart
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review