Cranberry-Apple Mincemeat Pies Recipe
Traditional mincemeat is too heavy for me, but this fruity version hits the spot. Other agree— few folks who've tried it stop at just one slice!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/4 hour + cooling Bake: 40 min. YIELD:12-16 servings
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dried apricots
- 1-1/2 cups golden raisins
- 1 medium unpeeled navel orange, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup each red and green candied cherries
- 2-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon each ground allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large kettle, combine the fruit, sugar, apple juice, butter, marmalade and spices. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool completely or refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- 2. Line two 9-in. pie plates with pastry; trim and flute edges. Divide filling between crusts. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Remove foil.
- 3. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each).
1 serving (1 piece) equals 419 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 147 mg sodium, 84 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC