Cranberry-Apple Bread Recipe
"Don't wait until the Christmas season to bake these lovely little loaves," advises Patty Kile from Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania. "This quick bread is wonderful anytime, with its sweet-tart mix of cranberries and apples. The loaves freeze well, too."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 2-1/3 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons orange juice
- 1. In a large bowl, combine biscuit mix and sugar. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites, sour cream, milk, oil and orange peel. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apple and cranberries.
- 2. Pour into three 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough orange juice to achieve a drizzling consistency; drizzle over cooled loaves. Yield: 3 loaves (8 slices each).
One slice equals 113 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 156 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC