Cranberry Angel Parfaits Recipe
“This is a light but delicious finale to any meal, and if you are concerned about sugar, just substitute a granular low-calorie sweetener. Either way, they taste delightful and look fabulous, too.” —Ruth Lee, Troy, Ontario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 50 min. + chilling YIELD:4 servings
- 1-1/4 cups plain yogurt
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 2 cups cubed angel food cake
- 1/2 cup whipped topping
- 1. Line a strainer with four layers of cheesecloth or one coffee filter; place over a bowl. Add yogurt to strainer; fold edges of cheesecloth over yogurt. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar and 1/2 cup water. Cook over medium heat until the berries pop, about 15 minutes. Set aside 1/3 cup berries for garnish; cover and refrigerate until serving. Mash and strain remaining cranberry mixture, discarding pulp; stir in cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- 3. Remove yogurt from cheesecloth and discard liquid from bowl. In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over remaining water; let stand for 1 minute. Cook over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in the cream, cranberry puree and yogurt.
- 4. Place 2 tablespoons gelatin mixture in each of four parfait glasses; top each with 1/4 cup cake cubes. Repeat layers. Top with remaining gelatin mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Just before serving, garnish with whipped topping and reserved berries. Yield: 4 servings.
1 parfait equals 325 calories, 5 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 210 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC