When you want an extra-special dessert for Christmas, it’s hard to beat a seasonal homemade cake. I like to drizzle mine with a simple but elegant glaze flavored with amaretto.
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup Amaretto
- 4 ounces almond paste
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 teaspoons 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons Amaretto
- In a small saucepan, combine dried cranberries and amaretto. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat almond paste, half of the butter, and 1/4 cup sugar until well blended. Add remaining butter and remaining sugar; cream until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in almond extract.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in fresh cranberries and dried cranberry mixture. Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 325° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine glaze ingredients; beat until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry-Almond Pound Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p158
Reviews for Cranberry-Almond Pound Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review