You'll relish this guilt-free take on a classic cookie, enhanced with cranberries and luscious dark chocolate. “My son is diabetic, and he loves these,” says Ramona Cornell of Levittown, New York. “A co-worker calls them 'a piece of coconut heaven'.”
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add extract; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar substitute on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in the coconut, cranberries and almonds.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 10-15 minutes or until set. Cool for 15 minutes before carefully removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon melted chocolate on the bottom of each cookie. Place on waxed paper with chocolate side up; let stand until set. Yield: 11 cookies.
Originally published as Cranberry Almond Macaroons in Cooking for 2 Fall 2007, p56
Reviews for Cranberry Almond Macaroons
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review