Cran-Orange Streusel Muffins Recipe
In less than 45 minutes, you can have a dozen hot and flavorful muffins on the table. They're very easy to double, so make an extra batch for company! —Hannah Barringer, Loudon, Tennessee
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 2-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg. Beat in the milk, applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into butter mixture just until moistened. Fold in cranberries and orange peel.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full with batter. For topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 muffin equals 192 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC