These are a favorite cookie of my family around Christmas. The cran-orange flavor makes special.—Nancy Rollag, Kewaskum, Wisconsin
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2/3 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 8 to 10 drops red food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Transfer 1 cup dough to a small bowl; stir in orange peel and set aside. Add the cranberries, pecans and, if desired, food coloring; divide in half.
- Line an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan with waxed paper. Press one portion of cranberry dough evenly into pan; top with orange dough, then remaining cranberry dough. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Remove dough from pan; cut in half lengthwise. Cut each portion into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Cran-Orange Icebox Cookies in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2008, p70
Reviews for Cran-Orange Icebox Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review