Cran-Orange Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup crushed gingersnap cookies (about 30 cookies)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, sugar and butter; press onto the bottom of a 9-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, brown sugar, orange juice and cloves. Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until berries pop, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until blended. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until chilled, stirring occasionally.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine ice cream and orange peel. Spread half over the crust; gently spread cranberry mixture over ice cream. Freeze for 30 minutes or until firm; freeze remaining ice cream mixture.
- 4. Soften remaining ice cream mixture; spread over cranberry layer. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or until firm. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 234 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 204 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.