Cran-Orange Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup crushed gingersnap cookies (about 30 cookies)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- In a small bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, sugar and butter; press onto the bottom of a 9-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, brown sugar, orange juice and cloves. Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until berries pop, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until blended. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until chilled, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine ice cream and orange peel. Spread half over the crust; gently spread cranberry mixture over ice cream. Freeze for 30 minutes or until firm; freeze remaining ice cream mixture.
- Soften remaining ice cream mixture; spread over cranberry layer. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or until firm. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cran-Orange Ice Cream Cake(7)
Sort By :
I used Nilla wafers instead of the gingersnaps, and only used about a half a Tbsp of orange peel, and it turned out quite good!
Some family members don't like citrus peel. I used 3 cups sugar-free vanilla frozen yogurt and 3 cup orange sherbet. Yummy! It would change nutrition count but a diabetic ate it without a sugar spike!
Watch the fat and cholesterol content of the gingersnaps. There are low fat ones and the not so low fat ones depending on the brand. One of the few heart healthy cookies around without paying the higher "low-fat" prices - Fig Newtons are the other ones (and pfefferneusse for Christmas!).
This is a wonderful recipe. Very tasty and hard to believe it is light. Like anything you eat, if you don't do it in moderation, then it is your own fault it isn't healthy
Please remember to rate recipe when you write in here. Be fair to the author of the recipe.
Your only going to eat 1/12th of this and then yes it is healthy if you set and eat the whole thing then no it's not. yes there is butter and all in it but it is spread thru out the cake . most who are unhappy about the cals eat more then they think.
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Fresh Cranberry Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Homemade Ice Cream Cakes >
- Ice Cream Cake >
- Ice Cream Cake Recipes >
- Ice Cream Recipes >