Give this festive ice cream cake from our Test Kitchen a try. Layers of lovely ice cream and cranberries will delight your guests, and they won't believe that the melt-in-your-mouth crust is light, but it is!
- 3/4 cup crushed gingersnap cookies (about 30 cookies)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- In a small bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, sugar and butter; press onto the bottom of a 9-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, brown sugar, orange juice and cloves. Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until berries pop, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until blended. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until chilled, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine ice cream and orange peel. Spread half over the crust; gently spread cranberry mixture over ice cream. Freeze for 30 minutes or until firm; freeze remaining ice cream mixture.
- Soften remaining ice cream mixture; spread over cranberry layer. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or until firm. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cran-Orange Ice Cream Cake in Light & Tasty October/November 2007, p30
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cran-Orange Ice Cream Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review