- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges
- 2 packages (.3 ounce each) sugar-free cranberry gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1-1/2 cups crushed salt-free pretzels
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- Drain oranges, reserving juice in a 2-cup measuring cup; set oranges and juice aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in cranberry sauce until melted. Add enough cold water to the reserved juice to measure 1-1/2 cups; add to gelatin mixture. Stir in oranges. Chill until partially set.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the pretzels, butter and 2 tablespoons sugar substitute. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish; chill.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining sugar substitute until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over crust. Spoon gelatin mixture over cream cheese layer. Chill for at least 3 hours or until set. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews for Cran-Orange Gelatin Salad
"Made it for the first time at Christmas - it was a big hit. Thought I would use more pretzels next time but also like the graham cracker idea."
"I made this for Thanksgiving as a side salad with dinner. It tasted really good and everyone liked it, but I was disappointed in the pretzel layer. It didn't hold to the cream cheese layer, so it looked messy when I put it on the plates. I had to spoon some of the pretzels under the individual servings. Somewhat disappointing, but I will make it again, with some changes, because it looked good (minus pretzel fiasco) and tasted even better."
"When I made this I used real sugar, salted pretzels & regular whipped topping & it tasted great!!! I think that I didn't have enough butter in the crust though because it was really crumbly & didn't stay together. Everyone loved it & wants the recipie!! Love the salty, tangy, sweet combo :)"
"I forgot to add that we use graham cracker crumnbs instead of pretzels."
"It's a fantastic recipe and we have made it several times. Great for get togethers."