Cran-Orange Bran Muffins Recipe
- 1-1/3 cups fat-free plain yogurt
- 1-1/4 cups 100% bran cereal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1. In a bowl, combine yogurt and cereal; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir the orange juice, honey, butter, egg and orange peel into yogurt mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pans to wire racks. Yield: 17 muffins.
One muffin equals 161 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat.