Cran-Apple Wild Rice Recipe
If you'd like a change of pace from stuffing, try this delightful wild rice side. It has flecks of red from dried cranberries and touch of sweetness. It goes great with a variety of meats and poultry, and I sure your guests will love it.—Debra Keil, Owasso, Oklahoma
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium tart apple, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1. In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine cranberries and orange juice. Cover and cook on high for 2 minutes; set aside. Meanwhile, prepare rice mix according to package directions.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onions and brown sugar in butter for 5-6 minutes. Stir in apple and cinnamon. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 25-30 minutes or until onions are caramel in color, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Drain cranberries; discard juice. Stir in the rice, onion mixture and orange peel. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup: 250 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 423mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Cran-Apple Wild Rice
Reviewed Jan. 23, 2013
"Good but very sweet"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC