I rely on applesauce to keep this crowd-pleasing cake tender and moist. The blend of nuts, cranberries and apples complements the subtle hint of wheat flour for terrific taste.—Martha Pollock, Oregonia, Ohio
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1-3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking sdoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups chopped peeled apples
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, beat the egg, egg whites, brown sugar, oil, applesauce and vanilla.
- Combine the dry ingredients; stir into applesauce mixture just until blended. Fold in the apples, cranberries and walnuts. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Cran-Apple Walnut Cake in Light & Tasty August/September 2003, p9
Reviews for Cran-Apple Walnut Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review