- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup thinly sliced peeled apple
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, egg, butter, orange peel, salt, 3 tablespoons sugar and 1 cup flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray; turn once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, toss the apple, cranberries, walnuts, cinnamon and remaining sugar; set aside. Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 20-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Combine egg white and water; chill 3 tablespoons. Brush remaining mixture over dough. Spoon fruit mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; seal ends.
- Place seam side down in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray; pinch ends to form a ring. With scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist so filling shows. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Brush with reserved egg white mixture. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown (cover with foil during the last 10 minutes). Remove to a wire rack to cool. Combine confectioners' sugar and orange juice; drizzle over ring. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Cran-Apple Tea Ring in Light & Tasty October 2005, p33
Reviews for Cran-Apple Tea Ring
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dried Cranberry Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >