Linda Riederer of Hamburg, New York shares this change-of-pace autumn side dish. “It's delicious with pork, and the cranberries add a lovely dash of color,” she notes.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chicken broth, divided
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the sauerkraut and onion in oil
- for 3-4 minutes or until sauerkraut is lightly browned. Stir in the
- apple, cranberries and 2 tablespoons broth. Cover and cook over low
- heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the remaining broth; cover and cook 3-4 minutes longer or
- until heated through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 130 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 866 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit, 1 fat.