Cran-Apple Praline Gingerbread Recipe
Start with a spice-rich batter baked atop apples and cranberries in a creamy caramel sauce, then invert when done, for a topsy-turvy dessert that’s a real beauty. The old-time holiday taste will delight family and friends! —Jeanne Holt, Mendota Heights, Minnesota
- 2/3 cup fat-free caramel ice cream topping
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- YOGURT CREAM:
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1/2 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt
- 1. Coat a 9-in. round baking pan with cooking spray. Pour caramel topping into pan and tilt to coat bottom evenly. Arrange apples and cranberries in a single layer over caramel.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg; mix well. Beat in molasses and applesauce (mixture may appear curdled). Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, pie spice and salt; add to butter mixture just until moistened. Stir in hot water.
- 3. Pour over fruit; smooth top. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Combine whipped topping and yogurt; serve with gingerbread. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice with 2 tablespoons cream equals 289 calories, 7 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 284 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC