Cran-Apple Pie Recipe
Our home economists capture the flavor of fall in this pretty lattice fruit pie.
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple juice, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening
- 8 to 9 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Additional sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the apples, 3/4 cup apple juice, sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch and remaining juice until smooth; add to saucepan. Return to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Stir in cranberries.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add cold water; tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half. Roll out one portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1 in. beyond edge of plate.
- 3. Pour fruit filling into crust. Divide the remaining dough in half. Roll out one portion; cut into six 1/2-in.-wide strips. Place three strips over filling in each direction, forming a lattice crust; trim edges of strips.
- 4. For decorative cutouts, roll out remaining dough and cut out with a 1-1/2-in. leaf-shaped cookie cutter. With a sharp knife, lightly score cutouts to resemble veins on leaves. Lightly brush lattice and edge of crust with egg.
- 5. Overlap cutouts on the lattice and along edge of pie. Brush cutouts with egg; sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- 6. Cover edges loosely with foil coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece (calculated without additional sugar) equals 505 calories, 22 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 305 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC