Cran-Apple Ham Slice
Cranberries, apple and a little brown sugar blend into a chunky accompaniment to ham. The not-too-sweet sauce gets its pretty pink color from cranberry juice. When cranberries are in season, I freeze some specifically for this down-home dinner.
-Jena Coffey, Rock Hill, Missouri
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Dash ground allspice
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 1 small apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 boneless fully cooked ham steak (1 pound)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and
- allspice. Stir in cranberry juice until smooth. Add apple and
- cranberries. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3-5 minutes or until
- thickened, stirring every minute. Keep warm.
- Place ham slice in a shallow 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and
- microwave at 70% power for 3-5 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve with fruit mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 238 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 1,451 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.