Cranberries, apple and a little brown sugar blend into a chunky accompaniment to ham. The not-too-sweet sauce gets its pretty pink color from cranberry juice. When cranberries are in season, I freeze some specifically for this down-home dinner. -Jena Coffey, Rock Hill, Missouri
Recommended: Our Most Gooey Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Ever
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Dash ground allspice
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 1 small apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 boneless fully cooked ham steak (1 pound)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and allspice. Stir in cranberry juice until smooth. Add apple and cranberries. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3-5 minutes or until thickened, stirring every minute. Keep warm.
- Place ham slice in a shallow 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave at 70% power for 3-5 minutes or until heated through. Serve with fruit mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cran-Apple Ham Slice in Quick Cooking May/June 2002, p29