Cran-Apple Crumble Recipe
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 5 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons almond paste
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. In a saucepan, combine orange juice, 3/4 cup sugar and orange peel; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cranberries; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until berries begin to pop. Remove from heat. Melt butter in a large saucepan. Stir in syrup, honey and remaining sugar. Add apples; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cranberry mixture. Sprinkle with tapioca; mix gently. Let stand 15 minutes. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 2. For topping, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl; cut in butter and almond paste until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle crumb mixture and almonds over cranberry mixture (dish will be full). Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly around the edges. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 each: 322 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 83mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Cran-Apple Crumble
"This is an excellent recipe. I used strawberry preserves and blueberry cran raisins instead of apple and cherry filling. I added 1 cup of shredded, sweetened coconut to the topping. It was an orgasm of flavor, wow!"
"I made this recipe many times. Everyone loved it including my sister-in-law who hates cranberries! She thought they where sour cherries. ;)"