THIS cookie recipe comes close to the wonderful taste of chocolate that Mama was able to produce in her cakes and cookies.
Because of the "crackles" in these cookies, my granddaughter tells me I've made a mistake when I bake them. "But they taste so good," she adds.
-Ruth Cain, Hartselle, Alabama
9 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, egg, oil, chocolate and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed
- mixture and mix well. Chill dough for at least 2 hours.
- With sugared hands, shape dough into 1-in. balls. Roll in
- confectioners' sugar. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to a wire
- rack to cool. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.