Cracked Wheat Buttermilk Bread Recipe
Slices of this crusty bread are great alongside meals or for sandwiches. It's one of the lightest wheat breads I've ever tried. —Ruth Stoops, Cincinnati, Ohio
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons cracked wheat
- 3/4 cup warm buttermilk (70° to 80°)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1. In a saucepan, bring the water and cracked wheat to a boil; boil for 6 minutes. Drain; cool for 15 minutes. Place all ingredients, including cracked wheat, in bread machine pan in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons of warm buttermilk or flour if needed. Yield: 1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 123 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 276 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC