- 1-1/2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons cracked wheat
- 3/4 cup warm buttermilk (70° to 80°)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- In a saucepan, bring the water and cracked wheat to a boil; boil for 6 minutes. Drain; cool for 15 minutes. Place all ingredients, including cracked wheat, in bread machine pan in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons of warm buttermilk or flour if needed. Yield: 1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds).
Originally published as Cracked Wheat Buttermilk Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p50
Reviews for Cracked Wheat Buttermilk Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review