- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and pepper. In another bowl, whisk the egg, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese.
- Fill muffins cups coated with cooking spray two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Cracked Pepper Cheddar Muffins
Sort By :
I use a large ice cream scoop and make these as drop biscuits! You can change the cheese and herbs to whatever works best with what you're serving, and they come together in a snap. Try using a combination of any of the following: dill seed, red pepper flakes, garlic or onion powder, Italian seasoning, parsley, a little bit of sage, snipped fresh rosemary, caraway seed... The garlic and onion powder are a must, and I almost always have a bit of red pepper flakes in mine. Great customizable recipe!
Way too bland for my taste even though I used sharp cheddar that I shredded myself. Texture was great but the recipe is missing something to bring out the flavors.
Made these last night and they were all eaten up! Very quick and simple recipe- a nice accompiment to a meat and potatoes meal and were very fluffy and light. They take mere minutes to whip up and taste great warm from the oven. I made suggest doubling the amount of pepper but that is just my preference. Also, add some salt- maybe about 1/2 teaspoon. Also, I would not suggest baking them for the time suggested- I baked mine for only 15 minutes and they were fully cooked. Overall, a yummy and convient recipe. Will make again.
loved this recipe. Kids think it tastes great!
The kids love this recipe.