Crab Vegetable Soup
Fresh crab is plentiful in Penobscot, Maine, where Emily Chaney pops a pound of it into this chunky soup. Chock-full of veggies and flavor, it makes luscious cold-weather fare.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups water
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 2-1/4 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 pound crabmeat
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil for 1 minute. Add celery;
- saute until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, water, carrots, potatoes,
- corn, bouillon, seafood seasoning and lemon-pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables
- are tender. Stir in crab and peas; heat through. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-2/3 cups equals 167 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 691 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber,