- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) imitation crabmeat, flaked
- Additional paprika, optional
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, paprika and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in process cheese and lemon juice until cheese is melted. Remove from heat; stir in cheddar cheese until melted. Stir in crab.
- Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with additional paprika if desired. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Crab Thermidor in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p109
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Crab Thermidor
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 23, 2011
"made this and enjoyed it with linguini"